Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Panic Attacks & Natural Solvents

     Hello, everyone! As so kindly pointed out by my long-lost boyfriend, I have not blogged in almost a week; I am ashamed. Getting ready for college gets really stressful, along with keeping in touch with friends that have dispersed all around the midwest, and upholding this lovely blogging community that bonds us together. 

     As I said, these are very stressful times. Making sure everything is organized, still trying to make sure I'm not forgetting anything, and just flat out, packing my clothes is a difficult task for me to complete. I'll just let you in on a little secret: I am a bit of a perfectionist. I may not be organized 24/7, but I definitely appreciate when things are in their places. Having this little dilemma makes my life more stressful than needed.

     I have had several panic attacks within the last 3 months, all beginning with graduation. Graduation was a chore in-and-of itself. Why make such a big deal out of graduating from high school? Just give me the dang diploma and let me continue with my life! Then I was "required" to attend 8 zillion graduation parties beginning in early May and ending in late June. My stress level increased so quickly, I didn't even want to attend my own party... that's saying something. 

     These anxiety instances continued through the summer while I began my first job at the pool. The environment seemed so carefree and relaxing, but in reality, the manager's office was a horrifying place while trying to handle money and balance the drawer. I allowed myself to slip into a haze of not caring, and I got disciplined on a weekly basis because I wasn't doing my job correctly; I could always improve. I wanted to show that I was a good employee, but being told I'm not good enough made me frustrated. 

     Managing college affairs was also a difficult part of my summer. From answering several emails, taking placement tests, writing checks and watching money drain out of my bank account like the water from my last shower, it was, and still is, a very overwhelming time of my life. 

     Along with the fact that I have to go to college, my friends and my boyfriend had to depart as well. The love of my life has slipped through my fingers. We talk almost daily, but it gets really unnerving to read a text from him saying, "I have to go to class. Talk to you later." It gets hard having to wait around. I spend this time by going on Facebook and scroll through pictures of my friends making new friends and experiencing the collegiate life. I'm still home for 4 more days with two friends in town. Woohoo.

     Fortunately, my panic attacks are getting a little more bearable. My doctor-sister-lady (my sister, who is a lady and doctor) has acquainted me to many, many natural solvents to relieve stress, and they're all natural products! Woohoo! *How redundant!*

     Below is a list of all the products I have been using the past week and a half to help control and settle my anxiety through this tough journey.
From Left to Right: Arctic Cod Liver Oil, Pea Protein Powder, Vitamin Code Raw B-Complex,
Aura Cacia Essential Oil, Solaray 5-HTP Hydroxytryptophan, Vitamin B8, Now Magnesium Citrate
Arctic Cod Liver Oil
     Arctic Cod Liver Oil has several benefits for those with high cholesterol, heart diseases, arthritis, woman who are pregnant, children, and people like me who are nut jobs... KIDDING! But it does help with mental conditions including Alzheimer's disease, psychosis, ADHD, or bipolar disorders.
     Suggested Serving: 1 Tbsp per day. I pour it into a shot glass and chase it with some orange juice. For children, I suggest just mixing it into a glass of orange juice. I suggest obtaining a citrus flavored oil so it is more bearable to take.

Pea Protein Powder
     I'm not sure if this is well known, but peas are a highly bioavailable protein and they have no major allergens. This makes it an excellent source of post-workout nutrition for those who have trouble or cannot obtain protein in other manners.
     Suggested Serving: 1 level scoop per day. I like blending this in with a green smoothie every morning as a part of my breakfast. If you are in a hurry, mix in with juice or any other beverage in a blender bottle.

     There are a variety of benefits to this one vitamin. It helps maintain a healthy heart and blood, supports the immune system, increases metabolism, relieves stress (yay!), and stabilizes mental and physical energy.
     Suggested Serving: 2 capsules per day. I usually take them with dinner so they work in my body overnight. I usually drink water with them. If you cannot handle the taste, drink a flavored beverage.

     Essential oils are a great way to relieve stress. Opting for a calming scent can really relax the brain in busy and stressful times. I prefer lavender because it's refreshing, calming, relaxing, and it's light. On the rare occasion that I have a massage, I ask the masseuse to use lavender oil, if available. 
     Suggested Serving: I guess it depends on how you're feeling. When anxious, I rub a bit on the back of my neck or on my wrist. You can also apply the oil on the bottom of your big toes before bed.

     L-5 is widely used to help with obesity/dieting, PMS, migraines, depression, anxiety, insomnia and addictive behaviour. 5-HTP increases production of serotonin. Decreased levels in serotonin have been associated with obesity, PMS, migraines, depression, anxiety, insomnia and addictive behavior. Serotonin plays an important role in controlling anger, aggression, body temperature, mood, sleep, human sexuality, and appetite.
     Suggested Serving: 1 capsule per day. Similar to the Raw B-Complex Vitamin, I take it 
at dinner time with a glass of water.

     Also known as inositol, this powder is a really convenient way of getting your daily dose of Vitamin B8. It really helps with keeping your mood and cognition stable and also maintains healthy cells within the body. 
     Suggested Serving: 6 tsp per day, can be separated. On days I do not use the Pea Protein Powder, I use this in a smoothie or a glass of juice. 

     If you're not interested in all the vitamins and solvents to help decrease anxiety, at least pay attention to Magnesium. Magnesium is a panacea of most body functions. It helps with anxiety, depression, insomnia, headaches, insecurity, irritability, restlessness, talkativeness, sulkiness... the list goes on. If you're going to get anything out of this post, please don't neglect taking Magnesium on a daily basis.
     Suggested Serving: 2 tsp per day. It already taste like oranges, so what better way to take it then in a fresh glass of orange juice? You can mix it in whatever drink you'd like, just don't forget to take it, please?!

     Wow, that was a bit longer than I expected. I help you all benefit from this post by making your lifestyles a little easier... aka... less stressful! I hope you have a great day! What do you use to relieve your stress? Let me know in the comments because move-in day is going to be insane!

xx Amanda
Twitter & Instagram: @amanda_wymore

No comments:

Post a Comment