Saturday, August 9, 2014

The Restaurant Review: The Retreat

Like this photo on Instagram!
@amanda_wymore
     Hello, ladies, gents, and fellow food lovers! I've never done a proper review or critique on a restaurant {or anything, really}, but I went to a coffee shoppe and bakery today and took photos so that calls for a review! Right?

     The Retreat is located in Ely, Iowa right along the main drag. Upon arrival, you are greeted by a charming refurbished house with an antique-esque to it. The inside, much like the outside, is very vintage-looking and has lots of character. It is also very homey; it is a comforting atmosphere. There are high tables with bar chairs, lower tables with matching wooden chairs, and even love seats with coffee tables; a bit of everything. 

     The furniture does make the place look like home, but The Retreat also has a lot of little decorations and trinkets that give this eatery that extra bit of je ne sais quoi. Most tables are topped with small glass jars with fake flowers and fairy lights. Some genius hid the shower in the public restroom by covering it with a plain sheet, added a swing, some candles, and fairy lights to make it look like the utmost decorated bathroom I've ever encountered. They detail the place with bowls of coffee beans and small candles. The candles, when lit, illuminate the scent of the coffee beans for that genuine coffee smell. 

     Now, I know that a dining place is not all about the look, but it is important. The food is freaking amazing. The Retreat offers a wide variety of bakery items, along with meals. I personally fancy the cinnamon rolls when I'm in there in the morning; turkey panini in the afternoon. The drinks also range from every type of coffee, teas, and smoothies. I recommend them all! Today though, I ordered a cinnamon roll {duh} with a Snickers Iced Latte, which contains chocolate, caramel, and peanut butter flavorings. 

     Do you have allergies to dairy, gluten, certain syrups? No worries. The Retreat offers to create your favorites with alternatives. Being lactose intolerant, I order my drinks with almond milk instead of original dairy milk. 

     ***COLLEGE STUDENTS: I love oatmeal. Like, I really love oatmeal. The Retreat sells oatmeal from a company called Straw Propeller. They have offered to order this oatmeal for me/us in bulk to take to college. What? Yeah, you heard me! I/we can choose the oatmeals I/we want, and they will order them for me/us. Holy oatmeal!

     Continuing on, the people are my favorite, and I'm not being biased. P.S. I'll be honest, my aunt owns this place. They are so kind to everyone! Everyone! They don't mind waking up and opening the shop at 5:30 am, they have a smile on their face anyway. I witness them converse with their customers, and they always treat them with utter respect and love; we're a family. 

     The Retreat is a one-of-a-kind dining place for those who love coffee, eating, chatting, and peace. Along with the food, The Retreat does offers merchandise with The Retreat logo, along with merchandise from other venders. I love the essential oils the most.

Alrighty then! Did you like this type of post? What are your favorite {unique} eateries?
Should I review them? Let me know in the comments! 

xx Amanda
Twitter & Instagram: @amanda_wymore

Find The Retreat:
https://www.facebook.com/Theretreately

No comments:

Post a Comment